Tuesday 18 June 2013

The Sweet Feeling of Freedom

I know there is that really dramatic phrase, 'Today is the start of the rest of my life' which is very cheesy and hyperbolic. However I am a drama student and therefore I feel like I am allowed to say hyperbolic phrases, perhaps with an over the top hand gesture and a dramatic voice. So I will start my post with this:
 
 
Today is the start of the rest of my life.
 
 And now I will begin to tell you why.
 
Today was my last A-level exam (drama funnily enough). I sat there after the two and a half an hour exam, feeling drained and with a numb and a new blister on my middle finger. I suddenly looked around the room and met the eye of one of my best friend, Daisy. I saw this glint in her eye and suddenly I felt light. The weight from the stress of all the exams slowly fell off me as the realisation that I was free became clear. I felt like how Dobby felt in ‘The Chamber of Secrets’ after being given a sock. I was free. No more school. No more exams. All the drama students in the room suddenly laughed. It was literally like we were in some cheesy film. We all just laughed and couldn’t stop and it was because for the first time in months, we did not feel any pressure and felt pure happiness. In that moment, I did not have any negative thoughts. All worries about money and grades seemed far away and only happiness filled my mind. If I was Peter Pan, I’d have easily lifted into the sky and flown straight past Neverland and to the moon with all my happy thoughts!
 
“And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.”
I have felt that feeling a few times in my life. Recently being at my 18th birthday party where my best friend Emily and I were the last ones on the dance floor after nearly everyone had gone. Our hair was a mess after dancing all night and our make-up had slipped, yet we felt so so happy! It was as if we were 12 years old again dancing in our bedrooms. We sung our hearts out to Taylor Swift’s ‘You Belong with Me’ and felt so... at peace. And I felt that feeling again today sitting in that exam room after my last exam knowing my high school years were over.
 
Because now my adult years can begin. Independence calls me and for once, I am not afraid of it, I am excited by it! The future seems bright! The possibilities are endless! I feel like I am young enough to still make mistakes and learn from them and to try new things with an open mind. But I also feel old enough to be responsible and independent which are no longer boring traits to me. It means I can go further with what I want to do and become a more rounded human being.
 
I am looking forward to this beautiful, long summer and also looking forward to what lies after it!
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment