Sunday 9 June 2013

My Shot at Fame

So this weekend I travelled down to Christ Church in Dorset to take part in the finals of the All-England Theatre Festival with my youth drama group, IMPACT. It was an amazing opportunity to be one of four finalist representing their division (we represented the Central Division), particularly being a youth group against three adult companies and we have achieved so much to even be there!
We had to leave the house at ridiculous o'clock in the morning (6.15am) and travelled three hours to arrive at The Regent Centre theatre for our technical rehearsal. After that we were free to escape and lap up some of the sun's rays and skip by the sea... but of course I went shopping instead ;)
I managed to find a few things in the shops in Christ Church...

A ring a brought for a pound!
A ring I brought for my friend for her birthday











A bracelet I brought for my Mum's birthday
After we went shopping we watched the afternoon plays. There were two shows, both different in that one was a comedy/ drama about a family with a disabled child set in the 60s ('A Day in the Death of Joe Egg' by Peter Nichols) from the Western Area and another was a Harold Pinter play, 'The Lover' by the Northern Area which was about a couple using role play to spice up their marriage (oo-er!)

 
After the afternoon show, we had a rush to be ready to perform at 7.30pm with our play 'Bric a Brac' by Richard MacSween. Our play is about a second hand shop and the owner can listen to the story behind each object. I believe our performance went well, a few technical difficulties (isn't there always?) but our piece has a strong chorus and I thought we were really in time with each other.

After we performed we got changed and watched the last play of the night, 'Housebound', a comedy by Simon Mawdsley performed by the Eastern Area. This was about a criminal who was keeping the bank managers wife hostage for ransom.

Then the adjudicator talked about our piece (she said I was a 'mean euphonium player'- Oh by the way I play the euphonium in the piece... it's a long story!) and gave us a lot of great comments(praising us on our teamwork and acting etc).

After this the awards were given out. Unfortunately, we did not win over all winner but were nominated for all the awards. I was nominated individually for The Paul Dyson Trophy (which in the adjudicator's choice award which she turned into the best actor award) for being able to lead the chorus in my role as the teacher which was an amazing achievement! (Even though I didn't win it.. but I'm comparing it to being nominated for an Oscar or Tony award...) The overall winners were from the Western Area which I definitely think they deserve as their acting was fantastic! Now they will be going to Ireland to compete in the British finals!

Of course it would have been nice to win but honestly, I was still amazed to have got through into the finals in the first place as this in the first time we have come this far! And it was fantastic to be treated like stars as we were interviewed and had photos taken and it really felt like I was living the life of an actress! It's also my last year of being in IMPACT as I will be leaving to go to university in September and I guess that means I am no longer considered a 'youth'. It's really sad as I have been part of IMPACT since I was seven years old but it is great to have gone out on a BANG!

Today we went to the beach in the morning which was great! And then travelled home to continue with everyday mundane life ;)

Forever being a drama Queen!

Love Just Al xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment